View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 PM

Liked 29,143 Times in 14,091 Posts
Default Antique Powder in an Antique Cartridge

Several months ago I came into full cans of duPont SR #80 and duPont No. 5 propellants. Just as an experiment, I decided to try out the SR 80 powder in my .32-20 M&P revolver. Hatcher's "Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers"(1935) has quite a bit to say about the .32-20 as a revolver cartridge and he presents a number of reloading recipes for it. One of them is a 103 grain lead bullet and 9.5 grains of SR #80, for which he lists a MV of 1000 Ft/Sec. I decided to drop back 0.5 grains to be a little safer.

SR #80 is a propellant from long ago, made from 1913 until 1939 according to Sharpe's reloading manual. It is of the bulk type, meaning that it loads volume for volume much like black powder. In appearance, it is granular and resembles sugar, but is a khaki (light brown) color. Hatcher comments as to how well it meters, and that seems to be true in my Lyman #55 powder measure. The SR #80 powder in my can shows no signs of deterioration. I poured out a small amount on the sidewalk, lit it with a match, and it burned vigorously and cleanly.

I loaded 20 rounds (9.0 grains and a 100 grain MBC cast bullet) for velocity testing only, not grouping. The 9 grain charge filled the .32-20 cases to within approximately 1/4" from the top, so with the bullet seated, the powder was probably in slight compression. I used fresh SP primers and a roll crimp into the bullet groove.

I was somewhat surprised at my chronograph results. The average velocity was 848 ft/sec, but the Standard Deviation was a nearly unbelievable 116 ft/sec. And that level of inconsistency is something I cannot understand. It clearly was not a result of poor metering as I checked that thoroughly, and visually the powder levels in each case appeared identical.

in any event, I won't be using any more of SR #80 in the .32-20, but I may try some in various rifle calibers to see what happens.

I haven't yet tried any of the old #5 powder, but some years ago I found two full cans of #5 from the 1940s and it worked fine in .45 ACP. I suspect it still will from this can. Can pictures are shown below. Both are of the 1930s style.

Last edited by DWalt; 05-13-2018 at 09:56 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: