View Single Post

Old 05-13-2018, 10:49 PM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default S&W 500 Reloading Ranier

Hi,

I have done a ton of research on reloading the 500 and thought I would try a recipe out to see where I stood.
Also, I have been reloading 9mm and 223 for 2 years. Just so you know.

I got the data from Ranier.
Projectile Weight: 335 gr
Powder: Alliant 2400
Charge: 31 gr
Velocity: 1480
Dies: RCBS 3 die set with a roll crimp
OAL: 2.07
Primers: Win LRM

Roll crimp is about .004” less then the case below the neck. Measured at the very top where the roll crimp is.

I loaded 5 and shot 4. Measured the OAL on the remaining one in the cylinder and it appears the projectile moved to 015” more than the set length. I set it at 2.07 and it now measures 2.085.
The primers on all 4 have expanded and flattened but still stayed barely below flush with the primer cup. Being that the primer shifted out and expanded, this tells me the roll crimp is too tight. However, the charge is the bottom of the range. I still have more charge that can be added but as tight as the crimp is, and the appearance of a bulging primer already, I don’t think I can add more charge. Nor can I loosen the crimp as the other rounds will loosen more.
One thing to note: The crimp appears to have created a noticeable indentation where the crimp was. Being that the bullet moved out of that groove, I can see the crimp pressure’s effect. This is why I’m cautious about more crimp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rpollard01; 05-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.