View Single Post

Old 05-14-2018, 12:25 AM

Liked 14,859 Times in 5,051 Posts

Respectfully...
I believe that 90-95% of handloaders that "read" primers are being wildly misled, and misdiagnose what they believe they see in the appearance of a primer.

Primer reading is a horribly vague sport akin to reading tea leaves. Aside from a LEAKING or pierced primer... it's extremely difficult to nail down certain answers from what can be seen.

The best possible way to gain information from visually inspecting primers is to compare and constrast primers across an array of loads when the ONLY variable is the powder charge weight.

If the load data says you have room and the brass ejects freely, I think you are being falsely lead by trying to read primers.

I also don't believe you can have too much crimp in a .454, .460 or .500 Mag unless/until you have wrecked the brass or the bullet.

Finally, I'm not much a fan of Ranier plated bullets. In other calibers, I prefer Berry's and Xtreme. And in a monster magnum of extremely high pressure, it seems like putting the cart before the horse to use cheap bullets.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: