View Single Post

Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 PM

Liked 257 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
This particular iteration is actually not very common. Relative to the total numbers of M&Ps, not many guns in the very high S-prefix range, like yours, got the new hammer/action before the C-prefix started in 1948.

That is a superb price, even better if you can make this gun whole by finding some sharp-shoulder diamond magna stocks without having to spend extra money.

Keep the hideous rubber grips, though; they are more comfortable to shoot.
So what do I call this pistol then? A pre-48 S prefix high serial number M&P that is unusual because it has the “new hammer/action that came out in the C prefix in 48? Trying to get it all straight in my head.

Also, I was mistaken about the box of grips I thought I had. I did not take the entire collection from my friends widow, but got two of the same type. One set I put on this pistol for now. It doesn’t fit just right since I’m guessing it’s for a later model K frame. They have K stamped on the back of one grip. Here they are size by side when I first got them. What would these grips be worth to someone based on their condition and style?

So, I’m looking for a set of early diamond manga grips for this pistol, am I correct? Should I look for "high shoulder" or "low", and would flat bottom be more correct, or rounded "PC?" I assume the earlier grip styles will fit the grip frame better than these K frame grips I'm using for now? They seem to be just a smidge bigger, overlapping both front and rear grip frame strap by maybe 1/32". I assume that isn't considered normal. It should fit right to the edge of the metal, correct?

If anyone has a set of correct diamond magnas in good shape to sell or trade, please let me know. I will keep looking online as well.

Now concerning differences in hammer and action between pre and post 48 M&P’s, can someone elaborate?

Last edited by KneverKnew; 05-14-2018 at 01:42 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: