View Single Post

Old 05-14-2018, 03:57 PM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safearm View Post
I added a set of K RB magna stocks that I picked up at a local gun show two weeks ago along with a BK grip adapter. Looks like a Model 66 on steroids.
Oh yeah! Now it's right! With those Magna's and grip adapter she should handle great. I read your first post twice looking for the caliber mentioned before I looked at pics of 396-1 to see they are .44Special. Love that cartridge!

If you are going to use it as a true "Mountain/Woods Gun"... I think I've found my favorite woods load for my 629. It's a 255grain "Keith" hard cast .44Special from Underwood. The bullet has such a uniform crimp/seating that I don't think you would have any kind of bullet/crimp jump under recoil, (test first of course before carrying that load.) I haven't had any bullet jump with hot loads up to 300 grains in this baby.

I shoot a lot of the Speer/CCI 200 grain Gold Dots in the aluminum cases. They recoil quite light out of my 3" barreled 629. They have actually my around town carry load the last 6 months they handle so well. However, I might switch them to the Underwood 200grain Hard Cast wad cutters depending on how they shoot next outing. Seen in pick below far right: The aforementioned "Keith" .44special also shown below 2nd from left.

Good job taking those OEM sights off. I hate fiber optic anything and have never made it a week without cracking one, ever. They promptly get thrown in the trash and replaced if anything I like comes with one like on my CZ 97B. You did well with the ramped front and fixed rear sights for sure!

Lastly, JD is a good guy and his "HH" lock deletes are fantastic! I have 3 of them. If I buy a new "N" frame that damned lock *** is snatched out within the hour of getting her home and filled with one of JD's plugs. Your Mountain Light looks good with the dark colored lock delete. I did the same on my stainless 629 if you noticed!

Last edited by HamHands; 05-14-2018 at 03:59 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: