View Single Post

Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts

I finally got to the range today. I had loaded up some 38 special for the accuracy test. With Speer 158 gr SWC, 4. grs of Win 231 it was shooting about 1" to the right at 15 yds with a very nice group. Much better than my initial test. Tuned the sight 1" to the left and shot about 25 reloads of Bullseye with the same set up. My group opened way up but was centered.
I then attempted to shoot some double action. After the second round the gun bound up and I had to empty the cylinder and free up the action.
Ditto the second time, something was not allowing the hammer to come all the way back and release. The gun was very dirty after about 50 rounds through it, the 231 really got it dirty. Here I am thinking, ok back to S&W for another trip.
I stopped at the gun dealer I purchased the gun from on the way home. We talked about what could cause the problem. He looked on u tube and found a video where someone said he had the same problem when his Smith was very dirty.
I did a good cleaning today and will make another trip to the range this week for some double action only shooting.