View Single Post

Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 PM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I talked to Ranier again today and they said I can crimp until I see splattering of copper on a card board target.
On the matter of spending more... I did not state this up front but this is only for target practice. Ranier said I should be able get it up to ~1700 ft/s. Not sure but will see...
Also, I have researched for quite a while for non-plated FMJ projectiles. As far as I know, they do not exist. There is however, a multitude of hunting/self defense rounds at around $1.00 per projectile. Utterly ridiculous for plinking...
I know where I can get 300 gr. 1195 ft/s factory ammo for $0.96 per round. My goal is to beat that price building my own. With Ranier and even Berry's which is higher, I can build them cheaper and still exceed the 1200 ft/s of the factory rounds.
If you guys know of an FMJ lead safe projectile that's not ~$1.00 per projectile, please point me in that direction... The one stipulation I have is, I don't want to shoot leaded or hard cast for health reasons. Lead is extremely toxic to humans.

Any ideas where one can get stronger than plated FMJs for the 500?

Thanks!