View Single Post

Old 05-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Liked 8,461 Times in 3,772 Posts

I have 2 of these "Choo-pintos" and wish I hadn't bought them. As PC guns, their quality is way beneath the earlier, unlamented "Wyatt Deep Cover" 637 PCs that I adore. One has been "back" 2x for service: sideplate screws loosened constantly under firing (which some posters said was OK!), trigger return was weak or the trigger remained in the rear position after firing, DA was rough and irregular. I believe poster Armorer951 refers to this as "long ratchet." The OEM grips are a matter of personal preference: I find them slippery when firing, but that is easily rectified.

I plan on taking them to the range this week to see if I still hate them as much as I did 2 years ago. IMHO, there's more than one reason why this LGS has them posted at such a low price...

Kaaskop49
Shield #5103

P.S. Never thought I would dislike a J-frame so intensely. Not the PC's best offering. A former poster opined this model was a way for S&W to use up surplus parts from the "Wyatt" guns: the cylinder, cylinder latch, grips. He may have been right.

UPDATE (5-19-18): I did get both guns to the range. Fired a box each of PPU .38 and Fiocchi .38 FMJ (a punchy load!). No problems either gun, happy to say. DA pulls still slightly rough, but not unmanageable. They passed their test.
The Following User Likes This Post: