View Single Post

Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,935 Times in 3,651 Posts

Given "Duffer" is new here, we might leap to some totally unwarranted conclusions, and wonder about his knowledge of the services provided by Turnbull, Fords, and/or whoever.

Turnbull is in the restoration business. Restoration is defined as rendering a firearm into the EXACT SAME condition, using the EXACT SAME procedures as factory new. They do a fine job on what they choose to work on. The cost is typically four figures.

Fords is in the refinishing business, although they can/will "restore" markings, repair significant damage, and whatever a customer with a fugitive from a junk yard wants to make pretty again. The cost for a typical "refinish" is unknown to me, but likely treated on their website---and likely less than $500. I have seen examples of their work ranging from a straight refinish to extensive damage repair, restoration of stampings, and refinish; and it has been excellent. Their refinish preparation is done by hand---which is the "secret" to their success. Their "Master Blue" is both different and superior to factory new----"superior" defined as a higher polish----"different" defined as a slightly, but noticeable darker color. Their nickle plating is likewise "superior". There are certainly other restoration and refinishing folks out there, but I know neither who nor where.

I suppose there may be instances where a "restoration" is cost effective, but I also suppose such would require a gun with some HEAVY provenance. "Duffer" has already established his knowledge of the cost effectiveness of refinishing, so I'm done.

Ralph Tremaine
The Following 7 Users Like Post: