View Single Post

Old 05-15-2018, 10:55 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Is "all of them" too general an answer?

I love 1911s, and they have to be chambered for .45 ACP, so my favorite caliber in 1911 is .45 ACP.

My favorite revolver caliber is .44 special, BUT since I don't reload and don't plan to start, and factory ammo is expensive (especially if you have to pay for shipping) I just can't go that way. The only one I've ever owned that was even more difficult for me to find was a S&W Texas Wagon Train model in .44-40...beautiful revolver, but so frustrating trying to find ammo. This was some years ago, so it may be easier to find online now, but it wasn't then. By default, then, my favorite revolver caliber is .357/.38 for its utility and versatility, and you can find it virtually everywhere.

For carry and general all around gun fun, I'm going to say 9mm. It's inexpensive, comes in a good assortment of bullet weights and configurations, and widely available. Modern ammo performs acceptably too. I am getting ready to buy a M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm, for the best combination of portability, capacity, functionality, and range use.