View Single Post

Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Liked 539 Times in 103 Posts
Default Simultaneous Extraction - Do You Take It For Granted?

Greeting Gents,

Following on from my (first post) 'introducing me and my 19'. I was so impressed with not only the wonderful reception but all the lovely revolvers shared by the membership but also felt a little bad that I only had one S&W to share pictures of (hoping that will change in the near future).

So just for a little fun I thought I would once again share my model 19 but this time pictured alongside a 'slightly' early (non S&W revolver). It struck me that 'simultaneous' extraction i.e. the swing out cylinder is something we really take for granted these day but of course there was a time when such a concept was the new development in handgun technology with no real standardized adoption.

Before the ubiquitous 'swing out cylinder & star extraction' system became the norm there were a number of ingenious systems. Here in the US the Merwin & Hulbert comes to mind, however back home in England the Thomas Patent system (manufactured by Tipping & Lawden) was one of the more interesting and lesser known method of 'automatic' or simultaneous extraction and like the M&H only spent cases were extracted.

Anyway just a bit of fun and another excuse (if one were need) to share my only S&W.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2203.jpg (60.4 KB, 113 views)
The Following 4 Users Like Post: