View Single Post

Old 05-16-2018, 03:10 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
You could mail the slide only to your gunsmith. It’s not necessary to send the whole pistol.
Well, duh... If I'd only stopped to think for a minute, I've even done that before! When the Springfield RO first came out, I bought one, intending to have the adjustable rear sight changed out to a fixed sight. Turns out they have (or had, then) an unusual sight cut, and most sights wouldn't fit. I ended up finding a sight that would fit and mailed it and the slide to Springfield to have it installed. When I got it back and put the slide on the frame, it jammed and wouldn't move...nothing I did could make it go on or come off. Springfield set me a mailing label and I sent the whole gun to them...turns out that when they installed the new sight, it was pressing down on the slide stop plate, and it bound on the frame. They had to mill it enough to clear.

Well, that non sequitur aside, I could send it to my (former) LGS and they'd install it for free if I bought the sight from them. Thanks for the reminder.