View Single Post

Old 05-16-2018, 08:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,511 Times in 8,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCurl View Post
Don't get me wrong. It's a nice gun, but it's not original at all.

There are several things about it that bother me:

The dome on the pin that captures the rebound spring is flattened. I don't think S&W would flatten this pin in a factory refinish, though I may be wrong. Have a look:

In the same image you can also see that nothing was done to restore the color case hardening of the trigger. The hammer is likewise. I would think a factory refinish would have attended to this.

Anyway, these are just my observations. I'm not trying to run the gun down. However, it brought a very impressive price of $4,050.00 plus shipping and transfer fees. That's up there!

Curl
Curl,

Very good objective observations of this TL.

All the stamps and characteristics support a righteous re-finish by the factory. Because it was refinished after the war however, we see post war protocols:

If refinished before WWII we'd see the rebound spring and hammer stud left domed, but polishing them flat is correct post war protocol for 1952.

Also the satin finish was the norm after the war, until ~ the mid-50's instead of the bright blue. Unless of course the owner had paid the premium for bright blue if that was even an option for a refinish.

The side plate logo was clearly restamped, hence the post 1935 vintage logo.
S&WCA #819
The Following 4 Users Like Post: