View Single Post

Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,218 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdogs View Post
Nice, I like the look. I have some pistols with fairly aggressive stippling, and for the most part find it unnecessary. All you need is something that gives a little traction, and that looks to do it. Do you have a picture of the bit you're using? I have a similar rotary tool, with a chisel set up, I wonder if I couldn't alter one of the chisel points to give a more rounded punch. Also, did you using anything to keep you from over running the flats?
I tried a number of different grinds on the bit before I settled on this one. About a 120° included angle conical point blunted or rounded over at the very tip and polished on a 600grit diamond stone.

Here's a pic of the handpiece and the tool bit. The bit is high speed steel and 2.5mm diameter.

Oh and clamping in my vise with jaws lined with 18ga copper...Line up the edge of the flats such that the jaw will keep the bit off the flats. Have to frequently reposition when working around curves at the top and bottom of the front strap to keep from going over the edge.

Cheers
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8113.jpg (113.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8114.jpg (22.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by BMCM; 05-16-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Overrun fix
The Following 3 Users Like Post: