View Single Post

Old 05-17-2018, 12:09 AM

Liked 11,368 Times in 1,323 Posts
Default Norinco NDM 86 (Dragunov)

This is the first rifle I ever bought, back in 1993. The LGS was a real gun nut, a wealth of knowledge with great stories and anecdotes to boot. He attended a lot of courses in the US, Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor and Massad Ayoob et al. He was an instructor too, and Glock hired him to train the Paris Gendarmerie when they bought Glocks.

Anyway, long story short, he mentioned this rifle, stating it was actually better made than the Russian version. Only 10 or so had been imported back then in Switzerland and a customer of his was selling one. So I jumped on it, although it was bloody expensive, $ 2000.-, and I was only 25 and just starting a career.

It was impressive too, as it came in a case with 5 mags, sling, scope, cleaning kit and tools. The bayonet was missing (I think they shipped without) so I added an original Russian Dragunov bayonet I found at a gun show later.

Here is an internet photo of the complete package, not mine, since I immediately stashed the case in the attic.

I shot it a lot, there was a time when one could find cheap crates of tin canned milsurp ammo from China, Russia and Czechoslovakia. Sadly this is no longer the case.

The 7.62 X 54R is ballistically similar to .308 Win I believe. The rifle is very light, so recoil and kick is very noticeable, especially since the butt is small and narrow, compared to an M14.

Anyway, pics :

The scope mount / system works actually great, and I remove the scope when cleaning the rifle, and it will not lose zero when reinstalled.

I just found out that KFS ATLGA is the importer, Keng’s Firearms Specialty, Inc. in Atlanta, Ga.

Company History- KFS Industries Inc.

In Norinco fashion, the serial number or part of it is stamped on various parts, except for the stock which has a different number

Scope is only 4 X magnification, with the Dragunov reticle, which can be illuminated with a switch.

The Following 26 Users Like Post: