View Single Post

Old 05-17-2018, 06:04 AM

Liked 467 Times in 144 Posts

It sounds like your eyes prefer a thinner front sight with more of a light bar on each side of the front sight. The standard front sight is .125 wide and the rear notch is also .125 wide. They generally install that sight setup on their short barrels and long barrels. But, the sight picture changes depending on how long the barrel is. For me, the .125 wide front sight is perfect on the 8" barrel. But, I prefer a .115 on the 6 inch and maybe a .100 on the 2" barrel.
If you call S&W they can tell you the height of the sight that came on your gun. Find out the height of your rear blade also. Then you can order a replacement front sight from Dawson Precision in whatever width you want. Their fiber optic sights are real nice and a big upgrade for general shooting (and should be plenty precise for your needs.) Dawson sights are an upgrade over the factory sights. They can even custom make one for you for a small uncharge.

If you want to improve the rear sight you can get an aftermarket rear blade insert from Weigand Combat. They even sell them in different widths up to .140 wide I think. The only thing to keep in mind is that the height of their blade is .160 and that might be different than what's on your gun and could change the point of impact.

The best aftermarket rear sight is from Bowen.
S&W Rough Country Rear Sights : + Bowen Classic Arms +, Parts Store

It takes some time to figure out exactly what will work best for your eyes. But, use your Ruger sight picture as a guide and work from there. Be sure to save your original factory parts. Some day you might want to put them back on. Good luck.
Dave