View Single Post

Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

I too love the fixed sighted revolvers for duty/EDC purposes. FWIW, I carried the same Model 19 4" in a Jordan style holster on a Sam Browne belt for a great many years. After getting tired of that square shouldered rear sight blade catching on stuff (door frames, seat belts and buckles, and most of all my sleeve and the skin underneath it), I carefully rounded the square shoulders pretty severely from the sight base to each side of the sight slot in the center of the blade. That was before the days when a dremel tool was a gleam in anyone's eye, but there were grinders of all sizes. I declined the grinders because I didn't wish to remove the rear sight blade to do the work. I carefully secured that revolver in a bench vise (with protection) and then more carefully used a couple of files to dress the corners off the blade. I used cold blue to restore the color to the area where blueing was removed in the process. It gave the gun an interesting look, but the sight worked as intended and was much less obtrusive to things around it. It wasn't as unobtrusive as a fixed sight K frame would have been, but it wasn't bad at all.

Of course, this was done on a working gun that was exposed to a great deal of bumping and grinding, etc in the course of all those years of service. That Model 19 certainly had "character", but it was very well maintained, and it never, ever let me down. Several other of my fellow officers noticed my alteration and performed it on their carry revolvers as well. The modification could be restored by the simple change out of the rear sight blade so no harm, no foul.

I say that if you can find an M-19 2.5" that suits the needs you mention, this modification might be something that could improve the comfort with which you could carry it as you suggest. For me, I never had anywhere near the room in my pockets to carry such a revolver there!