View Single Post

Old 05-17-2018, 09:56 PM
US Veteran

Liked 33,839 Times in 5,284 Posts
Default My last day in court.

I retired from the FBI in 2016, with 25 years in the bag. All of my cases but one had been resolved.

This is the other one.

FBI: Federal Jury Convicts Navajo Man | Los Alamos Daily Post

I won't go into it too much here. The bad guy confessed, we had DNA, a good victim, and the weapon (a mall-store samurai sword!). He had been convicted of a similar offense in 2002. The sentencing guidelines were so high he opted for the long game - wait in custody for almost 4 years, hoping the victim would die or disappear. Nothing we would offer him would be less than effectively a life sentence for a 53 year old sex offender.

Finally the judge had enough and set it for trial. I made the drive to ABQ, hoping at least for a trip to Ron Peterson's wonderful gun store. No luck there. By the time court ended every day he was closed. My only daughter lives in ABQ, so at least I got to see her.

The victim did not die or disappear. She testified, was subjected to harsh cross examination, but held up. She has serious health issues, and I doubt she'll be around for more than a few months.

The defense did what they could, but they had a tough row to hoe. The jury was out for two hours, which included lunch.

It was bittersweet for me. I've always enjoyed testifying and the trappings of the system in full forward motion. An event that took place between two marginalized people on a remote Indian reservation led to scientists testifying about DNA, evidence people flying in from Quantico to testify on chain of custody issues, SANE nurses being brought in from their new jobs to recall an exam done four years ago, and an old happily retired agent lumbering into the stand again for one last hurrah.

I'm glad we won. He needs to stay in prison. Oddly enough, when I finished testifying the defendant shook my hand and thanked me for treating him fairly.

I've never looked at verdicts as wins or losses. The system works and I accept the outcome, no matter what. But is was nice to go out on a conviction (even two years after I retired.)

Last edited by sigp220.45; 05-17-2018 at 10:01 PM.
The Following 109 Users Like Post:
2152hq, 31FordA, 41, 427mach1, 5Wire, 7shooter, Absalom, adwjc, American1776, ameridaddy, ancient-one, arjay, bgrafsr, Bugkiller99, CajunBass, CAJUNLAWYER, CapnB, carpriver, charlie sherrill, cndrdk, combat66, Coot47, dave holl, DeathGrip, demkofour, Dennis, don5, Doug M., Doug627, eb07, eveled, ExRanger714, Fishinfool, forindooruseonly, GB, gdc123, GKC, HOUSTON RICK, Iggy, italiansport, j38, JayCeeNC, jeffsmith, Jessie, JH1951, jlrhiner, Joe Kent, joe44va, JSR III, keith44spl, Kernel Crittenden, klondike, Kurusu, kwselke, ladder13, lawandorder, les.b, LoadedRound, LoboGunLeather, Lt JL, LVSteve, Maddog 521, max, medic15al, MOONDAWG, MSgt G, muddocktor, Muley Gil, Muss Muggins, NYlakesider, Old cop, Old Seabee, OLDNAVYMCPO, Onomea, Ozark Marine, ParadiseRoad, pawncop, petepeterson, pittpa, pmanton, rags, RobertJ., rond, RTILSON, Rustyt1953, rwsmith, S&W Oldtimer, S&WIowegan, shell627, shouldazagged, Smithpride, STCM(SW), SteveA, Texas Star, The Big D, Tom S., TomkinsSP, Trooperdan, URIT, vigil617, vt_shooter, walkin jack, WardenRoss, Weimar, wilkoi, Wise_A, Wyo, Xfuzz, yaktamer