View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,511 Times in 8,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
Jim,

Can you please explain what you mean? In my opinion, due to the condition of both, neither are "shooters". Or, perhaps you mean the '52 refinish IS a shooter, as it will forever not be original, albeit refinished by Smith & Wesson. If you are a purist, then this would be the case. But, if a refinish and/or a shooter, it should bring a price more in line with being such. At this time, I believe a Smith & Wesson refinish is bringing about 85% that of original, although I cannot bring myself to pay that. To put this all in perspective, only two years ago I paid in the mid 4's for a Triple Lock Target Model, in similar condition to the subject matter of this thread, or nearly so. Which one would you rather have? Technically, the subject matter of this thread is a refinish, and my Target Model is not, so, in my humble opinion, the subject matter of this thread is inherently less desirable than a 10% condition Triple Lock, as the 10% condition one is not altered from original. For your viewing pleasure is another Target Model I own with non medallion grips with a "been there, done that" look that produces an adrenaline rush every time I pull this out of the safe.
Yes, I will. 'Shooters' come in all levels of condition and originality. The TL of this thread is what I would call a "high end shooter/collectible", i.e., just enough wear or change from original to shoot w/o concern and lust little enough to still be collectible to some.

The un-refinished hammer and trigger showing patina, lack of good colors, plus factory re-finish, albeit satin instead of bright blue are what make it a crossover or "high end shooter/collectible" IMHO.

Shooters come in myriad levels; from abused, modified, non-factory re-finished, to all original condition, but only 50% original finish, etc., i.e., clearly not collectible, all the way up to a high level shooter.

So based on that, I feel like most that the two winning bids on Gunbroker for the two TLs were at least reversed and maybe anomalies.

However, and here's my point:

I have found several TLs for sale for friends. Some are rejected because they're "too nice" or "not nice enough". Although my friends could easily afford the "too nice" TLs, they wanted something not so nice; they want to be able to shoot it, handle, it, and maybe carry it "w/o guilt or responsibility for depreciating it".

So they not only prefer, but might even pay more for a "high end shooter/collectible"!

Oh life is just so complicated for us gun nuts, isn't it?

NOTE: I recognize that the line between "Shooter" and "Collectible" moves because it is relative to the rarity of the model! In other words: TLs, Reg Mags, and K32s are still collectible in lower condition levels than many other models with higher production volumes.
S&WCA #819
The Following User Likes This Post: