View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 03:29 AM

Liked 813 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by center_shot View Post
Right - I want target sights! My initial post sure was a long winded way to say that. lol I don't care at all about speed shooting, my priority is accuracy. I want/need to be able to shoot a jack rabbit at 25 yards or this thing will go down the road. I know the revolver is capable as I have shot it with a scope. It's just these stock sights that are very limiting for me.

The rear sights I have found are different heights, but the width of the notch stays the same. I may try a partridge type front sight and see if that helps. I had a 617 that with partridge style sight that was much easier to shoot accurately. Maybe just black out the stock sight and give it a try. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
The issue here is language. When people talk about target sights they normally mean sights with very slight amount of space on each side of the front sight blade. This is a more precise sight picture because any deviation of exact center in the rear notch will clearly be seen.

Your Ruger with the larger notch/narrower front sight is more of a speed shooting shooting setup. Ruger may advertise the gun as a "target" gun but the sights are not true target sights.

Also the question of what you consider target shooting needs to be addressed. You talk about shooting a rabbit at 25 yards. That by definition requires sights that allow a precise and repeatable sight picture, in other words your Smith sights as they are now, with the possible change of a plain black rear, quite common is some target shooting circles.

Finally the issue of less then perfect eyes. I've worn glasses all my life and as a shooter it sucks. So while a greater amount of light on each side of the blade may seem to aid shooting, the reality is just the opposite.

Last edited by mscampbell2734; 05-18-2018 at 03:30 AM.