View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Liked 539 Times in 103 Posts

Thank you gents for your interesting observations.

I find firearms development really interesting. So much of what we take for granted on 'modern' firearms was developed and evolved not that long ago. The process of how such concepts were worked out and the designers that made it happen is endlessly fascinating to me.

Before the ubiquitous 'swing-out' cylinder and of course the 'top-break' (S&W & Webley) became the standard we had the Galand in Europe, Merwin & Hulbert in the US and the Thomas system in England - the latter is what is shown above. The revolver being a rare Thomas Patent made by Tipping & Lawden (who were bought out by Webley in 1887), I have an original patent (shown with the revolver below).

To operate it, one released a catch and with the knob below the barrel, turns the whole barrel assembly and moved it forward. This pulls the cylinder forward just enough so as the empty cased drop free.

Needless to say none of these three systems survived into modern times but a fascinating footnote in the developmental history of 'simultaneous extraction'.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0947.jpg (71.7 KB, 28 views)