View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Liked 689 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoboy View Post
Thank you so much fyimo,

I really appreciate the help. That is the exact scope I really considering purchase from Academy.

1. What does the following mean Screenshot by Lightshot in red box.

"provides open-circle aiming points with markings from 100 to 600 yards and tactical-style turrets " ? Does the mean the scope only works for up to 600 yards.

"developed specifically for the trajectory of the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO round with a 55-grain polymer tip bullet"?

2. Does this mean the scope only works well with 55 grain bullets? Or will I have site again for high grain bullets.

3. Where did you order the Nikion rings from?
Thanks for the help
Ok, I'll answer these for you.

1. This scope has pre-etched into the reticle small circles that are below the center crosshair, this is called a BDC (bullet drop compensation) reticle. These small circles correspond with where you bullet will hit at varying distances using a 55 grain .223 round. The first circle below the crosshair will be where your bullet hits at say 200 yards (assuming100 yard zero is spec'd by the manufacturer and that's how the reticle is set up, I didn't read the manual on the scope so I don't know specific distances of the reticle markings), the next circle below that 300 yards etc. etc. So when using the rifle and not messing with the turrets, you can aim correctly using just the small circles (knowing the distance you are trying to shoot) to adjust for bullet drop at distances. The alternate is using the turrets to dial in your distance and impact so your impact is right at the crosshairs at whatever distance. You can do either or. The BDC reticle is good for quick sighting, if you have time to adjust the turrets before you make a shot, then that way is a little more accurate generally because you can make better minor yardage adjustments. And no, this only means that the BDC reticle is marked for 600 yards, you can shoot farther by guessing the additional drop at farther distances or by using the turrets to dial in farther.

2. No, this only means the BDC reticle is pre-marked for bullet drop of a 55 grain .223 round. You can shoot other rounds, but they will drop differently based on bullet grain, velocity, etc. So if you are using a say 77 grain round and you are using the BDC reticle, the shot may hit lower than the circle (at a certain distance) because the reticle is etched for a 55 grain round and you are shooting a heavier round. Even if you re-zero for heavier rounds, they will not drop the same as a 55 grain so the BDC reticle may still not be accurate. If using heavier rounds, either again guess at the additinal drop or use the turrets.

3. I have no idea, just search for them and you'll find them.

Hope this helps.