Thread: 9mm std vs +P
View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,331 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrh View Post
Interesting comment. I suggest folks read Massad Ayoob's commentary (sticky) on this subject in the Self Defense forum. Lightening a trigger on a SD gun is just one more arrow in the quiver of a prosecutor or civil case. While your attorney may win eventually why arm the prosecution? Ayoob has the experience and reputation to know what he's talking about. Just no reason to lighten a trigger below the manufactures recommend minimum pull, IMHO, on a SD gun.
The issue in a prosecution is whether the use of deadly force was justified. If you are charged and admit you shot a person because you were in danger of death or great bodily harm then the prosecution sure as heck isn't going to argue that "no you didn't really mean to shoot the person, it was an accident." That argument makes absolutely no sense. Think about it. Anyone with a lick of common sense and reasoning will see the fallacy of thinking the prosecution is going to argue an accident. If a person doesn't see the silliness in that argument then they've watched too much TV and believed too much internet BS from those who don't know.
If the use of deadly force is justified then it doesn't matter if you shoot them or hit them with a 9 iron. You're protecting yourself from death or great bodily harm. The instrument you use is irrelevant. It's the act and whether it was justified.
The only time a light trigger may come into argument is if you say you never intended to shoot the person, you had no justification to defend yourself but because of the light trigger the gun went off when you did not intend for it to fire. The issue in that case is even bigger. You used deadly force when none was justified nor intended.
Been thru enough actual shooting investigations. I didn't get my facts from reading books or other people's reports.