Thread: Brill Holster
View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 04:56 PM

Liked 7,748 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabensburg View Post

I am A. Neale Rabensburg, grandson of Newton Joseph Rabensburg. Newton was born in 1889 in Wilson County, Texas and raised in Fayette County, Texas following the 1890 death of his father, Henry B. Rabensburg, a saddler in Wilson and adjacent counties. There is presently an active exhibit on N. J. Rabensburg in La Grange, Texas at the Fayette Heritage Museum and Archives. Mr. Rabensburg was in business in La Grange from 1915 to 1920. His store located on the town square was Zwiener and Rabensburg. He and his family moved to Llano in 1920 where he stayed until the early 1930's. He received an offer from the A. W. Brill Company in Austin and left his position in Llano as Mayor. There is an Austin American newspaper article written in 1959 on his life and leather career. I was there with him on occasions during his retirement. He had a home office located in his garage located at 1903 W. Lamar located on a hill across from Pease Park and Waller Creek (Austin). I watched him make his holsters and belts. I had one of his holsters and belts as a child. I can identify for the most part his designs. I have much of his home workshop including tools, stitching horse, granite block, a (cc: 1890) Sessions Wall Clock from Parry Buggies, carriage toting box for belts, early photographs including one of his pre-1915 "parade" saddles, 1961 obituary, 1959 PR newspaper article, photos of a Zwiener and Rabensburg restored buggy in the Hidalgo Museum in south Texas, his writing desk and spool draw, early 20th Century wall art painted on leather. I have photographs of him as a young man and in retirement. Newton died of a stroke at the age of 73 or thereabouts He is buried with his wife, Lillian Edna Speckels in Austin. Together, they had three sons and two grandchildren.
G'day to you, (Aubrey) Neale Rabensburg. I've been looking to reach you for about two years now, because your grandfather claims to have actually invented the Brill holster. He died, not of a stroke, but of acute pneumonitis, a rare disease that took him quickly:

rabensburg sr death 1961 (2).jpg

I will send you a PM and hope to hear back from you. A group of us are building a coffee table book about 20th century gunleather and the Brill, and your grandfather, figure prominently in it.