View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Liked 18,468 Times in 7,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Unless I am missing something...

Why would you ever need another one of those breech-lock die collets? I mean, the press comes with them and dies screw in to them. Dies screw in and out for the last hundred years before the breech-lock collars were invented... could you not simply screw in the 3 or 4 dies you wish to use and never buy another collar?

When Lee debuted the Breech-Lock concept a handful of years ago, that was my thought exactly.

Surely we can screw dies in and out, yes?
Absolutely. If you want to take the time and go through the hassle of re-adjusting all the dies every time you switch calibers.

The idea is to adjust the dies one time while they are in the bushings and lock them down so that then you can just swap them bushing and all - without having to fiddle with re-adjusting them every time. Same reason I have a turret plate for each set of dies I use in my Classic Turret.

Unless you only load one caliber on the press, a good part of the time you save with a progressive gets eaten up in re-adjusting everything at every caliber change. Most of us don't particularly enjoy the fiddling around part of reloading and would rather put that time into cranking out ammo.

Last edited by BC38; 05-18-2018 at 05:42 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: