View Single Post

Old 05-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
Unless you only load one caliber on the press, a good part of the time you save with a progressive gets eaten up in re-adjusting everything at every caliber change. Most of us don't particularly enjoy the fiddling around part of reloading and would rather put that time into cranking out ammo.
Only if you try to use your progressive as a turret, BC.

Turrets work well when you're always changing calibers and producing small batches of ammo. The Lee turrets, in particular, can be swapped back and forth with zero adjustments.

So if you're reloading in one or two sessions a week, to make 100-200 rounds a week to shoot, they're great. Especially if you like to experiment and don't want to commit to a particular load.

Progressives have more setup time. The Lee isn't so bad, with die bushings and the easily-switched Lee Safety Prime. And of course, they have more expenses associated with adding calibers. Which I have to admit, seeing people complain about buying die bushings is pretty hilarious compared to the per-caliber setup costs of some other companies.

Where the progressive excels is when you've settled on your loads, and you want to stop screwing around with small batches. When you just want to convert 500 LSWCs into 500 cartridges of your favorite load, progressives are it.

So--don't buy bushings for 12 different cartridges. Ask yourself what you really shoot in volume. Me, I'd definitely do 9mm and probably .45 on this thing, but probably not anything else. .38 Spl would be debatable--I've picked out The Load for it, but I just don't shoot that kind of volume.

Last edited by Wise_A; 05-18-2018 at 10:30 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: