View Single Post

Old 05-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Liked 5,430 Times in 1,761 Posts

Let's get something clear about lubricants for firearms. Not saying that one brand/type or another might not out-perform another in some specific aspect or application, but for the most part any ol' oil or grease, properly applied and maintained, will do.

The cost of one product in no way indicates that a less-expensive product is inferior, or a more-expensive one is superior. I once made the acquaintance of a gunsmith who, rightfully so, was widely -- as in nationally -- recognized as one of the best. Like anyone else, he was in business to make a buck, and one thing he did was purchase a couple of barrels of grease at a bargain price, then load it in to 2 oz. jars priced at, as I recall, $8.95 apiece and labelled to indicate that it was the be-all to end-all for gun lubrication. For years, he sold a wad of the stuff by mail and at gun shows and trust me, he chuckled on the way to the bank every day. Often his only profit from a 2-day weekend show came not from sales of guns and services but from sales of the wonder-grease -- which was nothing but a lube anyone could by a year's supply of for a few bucks at Walmart or Auto Zone.

I am not saying don't try different products, but be sensible about it. Try a bit and see what it does for you, and if what it does is any better than what Generic Brand X does. Just don't swallow the hype -- NOTHING will protect/lube/clean your gun sufficiently in ALL conditions, but just about anything will work if you pay attention to your gun as you should. Regardless of what you use, your gun will get dirty if you shoot it, it will rust of you ignore it, and it will wear more rapidly if you don't keep it lubed. No product will eliminate those facts.

Last edited by Pisgah; 05-20-2018 at 09:08 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: