View Single Post

Old 05-20-2018, 03:45 PM

Liked 8,935 Times in 4,144 Posts

What do you mean by "interrelate"? I would guess there is information on the K-Hornet available on the Internet. Before Internet, most of the information I recall regarding the K-Hornet was that Lyle Kilbourne (spelling may be incorrect) developed it in the 1930s. Whether or not it was the first blown-out, sharp-shouldered case, I don't know, but it was easily one of the first. I think Kilbourn worked for Lyman at one time. Whether this was before, during, or after the K-Hornet development, I don't remember.

I had a K-Hornet on a Winchester High Wall action about thirty years ago. It offered some velocity improvement over the regular Hornet, but many don't realize that these oddball cartridges are seldom pressure-tested and some, maybe most of the velocity gain might be attributed to hotter loads with increased pressures rather than the slightly increased powder capacity.

The Harvey .224 Kay-Chuk was developed about twenty years after the K-Hornet. May be wrong again, but I don't think it had a sharp shoulder, so it would bear no resemblance to the K-Hornet.

The late Kent Bellah of Saint Jo, TX was a well known gun writer during the '50s and '60s. He did a lot of load development and experimental work with the Kay-Chuk and had more to do with popularizing the cartridge than anyone else, though it's probably a stretch of the truth to say it was ever really that popular.

Somewhere, I have an old PRECISION SHOOTING magazine from fifteen or so years ago that contains a comprehensive article on Bellah and I think it has some mention of the Kay-Chuk cartridge.