View Single Post

Old 05-21-2018, 12:25 AM

Liked 2,954 Times in 1,054 Posts

I appreciate the comments both as to why and why not. I have seen in previous polls that AIWB is one of the least common carry locations.

Perhaps that’s because modern guns in modern holsters have made AIWB a relatively new (even though old) option. The renewed emphasis on AIWB seems to have begun about 7-8 years ago, and most competition shooting and some training facilities still do not allow it.

About three years ago I listened to both pros & cons for about six months. Got a good holster and gave it a try. I’ll never go back.

I carried in Thunderwear for almost 20 years when I wore a suit to work. I added a folded piece of plastic inside the holster pouch to protect the trigger and only carried compacts with DAO triggers. Never had a problem.

AIWB is just an elevated form of T’wear carry, allowing me to pack a larger, striker fired gun even more safely and conveniently. I still use T’wear when I can’t use a covering garment for a 9mm Shield.

We can run another thread extolling the virtues and perceived disadvantages, but I’ll say this unequivocally: with a proper holster setup, I have no fear of shooting my junk, a leg, or my butt when carrying AIWB. I have yet to hear of a documented instance of the feared junk shot with modern holster AIWB carry.

Interestingly, longer AIWB holsters with a foam wedge at the bottom are comfortable and do not point at my privates. I can see a clear path into the holster, and I tip my hips forward a bit when I holster to make sure the muzzle is nowhere near flesh. I feel very safe.

For those who have a negative perception, it would be interesting to know if they seriously tried it or fear it because of what others (who also may not have tried it) say. It does not work well with some body types and some really short barreled guns (with short holsters). Floppy belts that allow the gun to tip are a no-go.

Let’s hear what you know. Thanks.