View Single Post

Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collects View Post
I wonder if any of these types of guns (with S/Ns removed) that we discuss here online are ever pursued by the ATF in order to prosecute the felony of possessing a handgun, with the S/N removed. This forum might actually be the mechanism by which ATF learns of some such guns.
Personally, I don’t think they are the least bit interested. But I have no evidence.

Which is the whole problem with this discussion. We know the law, but are unable to evaluate its practical implications because there is no evidence of any enforcement.

Every member cop who has spoken up here about the people he busted with guns that had obliterated serial numbers has had to admit that it happened ancillary to other crimes; obviously, if you shoot someone or rob a bank with such a gun, this will be an additional charge. But nobody has come up with any cases where collectors or other citizens were prosecuted or targeted just for possession.

So we’re lacking data. It’s all guesswork. And if you ask ATF, they will tell you the law, and not “Are you kidding? Who has time for this chicken**** stuff?” which is more likely the reality.

Last edited by handejector; 05-22-2018 at 04:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: