View Single Post

Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 PM

Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachogrande View Post
WHY push the envelope??? Surely you could find an acceptable accuracy sweet spot at a lower pressure.
Handloading makes sense for rifles, it's nearly mandatory for getting the most versatility from handguns.

I load for several handguns, with very little variety in rounds I need to keep dies for. Pretty much same for rifles. I rarely shoot jacketed bullets in any of my handguns, my .380's, (my only centerfire autos), being the exception, as most of the potential from any of my revolvers can be achieved with some version of swaged or lead bullets.
I have a very light weigh .38, M637 that works best with those soft Speer 158gr LSWC HP's over a low end +P level load, the same load seems to work just as good in my new M60/.38 Spcl. They are useless at .357/.44 magnum speeds. I load my M69 up with the Speer's, as they are not a problem with leading at 850fps, accuracy is very good, and the M69 is more shooter friendly. For more serious loads, I use a 240gr LSWC with lots of Herco for not quite 1100fps. If I thought my tired old hide was in danger from bad guys, a case full of 2400 and a 180gr Sierra HP would fix the baddest of guys.

The point being, as a handloader, all of those bullets have a place. One is not better than the others, and all have a best quality that I like and use for my shooting. All of them are accurate in the right application, they can all be useless or sub-optimal in other applications.
The Following User Likes This Post: