View Single Post

Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 AM

Liked 6,257 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: Snake loads. Use what you've got! I've shot 'em w/ 12 ga. birdshot ... works every time! Used a .30-06 once. Yep! It worked! Shot a really scary big impressive rattlesnake w/ a .44 Magnum. First round blasted his royal hissing highness up in the air. Second shot caught him right ... blasted skin and flesh everywhere! Distance muzzle to target was maybe 16 inches. Had to put the laundry through the washer again. Shot a copperhead with a load of Speer/CCI .357 snake shot. Very effective. One shot. Head looked like it'd been chewed by a thousand needles.

Once out running w/ my dog ... ran up on a whopper of a swamp rattler. That thing was a real man of a snake. Wasn't the least bit afraid. No interest in getting away. Kept my dog away. Hit it with about half of a old concrete block. Hit it real hard. Also used a brick. Took a lot to finish him. Just wouldn't give it up and die. Since that night I always carry a pistol when I'm out walking or jogging. Got to figure if I'd had a pistol, I'd have been able to kill that whopper snake with a whole lot less drama. Sincerely. bruce.