Thread: 10mm m&p
View Single Post

Old 05-26-2018, 04:16 AM

Liked 29,239 Times in 13,823 Posts
Default The 10mm was created......

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
I remain somewhat puzzled by the 10mm, a rimless cartridge (almost) equivalent to a .41 magnum. The cartridge is accurate and powerful enough for hunting, but many of the platforms chambering it suffer from "a 100yd cartridge in a 40 yard gun for accuracy." A revolver in .41 mag is more accurate for hunting.
So if not hunting, what then is the purpose, self defense? The ones I have shot zip right through anything simulating a human, and expend most of their energy on what lies beyond the target. If loaded down, it becomes a .40 S&W in power. So maybe defense from big angry predators is the best use for a 10mm semi auto?

Unfortunately, the most common use I have seen is destroying objects on the range and giggling like Beavis at the power, blast, and destruction, which certainly is a fun use for a range toy.

No, I would not want one in an M&P.
....as a Police/Agent gun as a result of the 'caliber wars' to equip officers with a gun powerful enough to be a real 'stopper'. The problem was that the average officer couldn't handle it well. SO, they shortened the 10mm S&W and gave it a lighter charge, which turned out to be the popular .40 cal, though not without problems. Often they were built on 9mm frames that can't take the beating. It sure would be nice if they would strengthen the frame of the .40s since they know that is a problem.

10mm advocates call the 10mm S&W the 10mm 'Short and Weak'

I know how attractive having a single, one size fits all weapon on a police force, agency or in an army. In the case of the police force I don't know why in the world they can't have options of 2 or 3 calibers. The people that could handle big stuff could use a 10mm and the people blown away by the 10mm could use a 9mm or .40 cal.

As far as SD goes, the 10mm is great if you can handle the recoil and get fast follow up shots. SOME people like a really powerful gun for SD, but I don't think it's the norm. I wonder if a lot of people have 10mm just like I have a .357. I don't carry it around, but I like to shoot it. In other words, I wonder how often it is used as an SD gun?

Last edited by rwsmith; 05-26-2018 at 04:21 AM.