View Single Post

Old 05-26-2018, 09:58 AM

Liked 1,627 Times in 800 Posts

Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. Just about anything will work. What oil gums up in 2 months?

For a revolver the lubricating requirements are pretty minimal. Anything from lightweight machine oil to a light coat of heavyweight gear oil will do just fine. Many people are adamant their oil is best because they've used it for years without problem. The truth is that any product sold as gun oil will work just fine and just about anything in your garage labeled "oil" will suffice.

I've sprayed plenty of newly purchased, decade old guns with WD-40 and never experienced any problems. The first thing I do when I get a old gun is lightly clean it and then spray it down with WD-40 and let it sit for a couple of days and then disassemble and do a deep clean. I'm pretty sure there have been times where WD-40 was all I used and the gun sat for months without any ill effects. The nice thing about WD-40 is that it will penetrate and loosen up any stuck parts and make old gunk easy to clean out. Letting excessive quantities of any oil build up in the action of a revolver will eventually cause a problem.
The Following User Likes This Post: