Thread: memorial day
View Single Post

Old 05-26-2018, 11:56 AM
US Veteran

Liked 7,000 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
55 Missions?!?!?!
Yup, 55 missions piloting a B-24 over Europe. Dad wrote to Don after 35 missions, said "You've done your job, come home." Don wrote back "I'll be OK. I only fly every fifth mission now. I'm trying to train the new guys. These kids coming over here don't even know how to transfer gas."
On 10 Apr 45, Don was flying the lead bomber on a large raid to bomb German lines just north of Bologna, Italy. His plane, as lead, had an extra navigator on board, and the squadron CO was in the copilot's seat. They encountered "light but accurate" flak on the rally after dropping their bombs. His plane was the only one hit. Shrapnel hit the fuel transfer lines on the forward bulkhead of the bomb bay starting a fire. He held the plane level for two minutes as the fire spread, engulfing the aircraft. Two parachutes were seen, one man was seen trying to get out of the engineer's hatch above and behind the pilot when the plane exploded and fell in two pieces to the ground. The two men who parachuted were POW, the other nine perished.

It was his squadron's next to last mission of the war; Don, who referred to "these kids" in his letter to Dad, died before his 21st birthday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 830th Don Gambrill 2nd row, rt. end.jpg (75.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Gambrill Donald L tombstone.jpg (117.6 KB, 15 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: