Thread: Ammo Question
View Single Post

Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

I've used this particular ammunition in my model 620 (an L frame 7 shooter with a 2 piece tensioned barrel) and my 1892 Winchester that a previous owner had re-barreled for 357 Magnum sometime in it's past. I have had zero issues like you have described.

Note, the 357 Magnum case has the case wall thicken near the base and based on the pics you posted I would suspect that your Henry has the chambers bored oversize. As for your model 19, if it's a Bangor Punta era revolver dating to the late 60's to 70's you need to be aware that S&W had a bit of a reputation for spotty quality at that time. It's quite possible you have chambers with a poor surface finish that would benefit from having the chambers lapped. Another possibility is that some knucklehead in it's past loaded up some over pressure 357 Magnums and bulged the chambers.

Basically it's my belief that this ammunition is hot enough to expose some manufacturing defects not noticeable with a milder load. BTW, I don't do a lot of shooting with this particular ammo in my 620 because I find the recoil to be harsh enough I start flinching after 3 cylinders. Instead I prefer to use my Dan Wesson 15-2 because it's a bit of a tank in comparison to my 620.