View Single Post

Old 05-27-2018, 05:55 AM
US Veteran

Liked 39,491 Times in 10,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
The trigger did recover at the range, but the hammer did not go back when the trigger was pulled on every pull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
Sounds like the sear isn't returning to its proper position. Might be a broken spring. But with the problem coming and going, I'd bet its just gummed up inside and needs a good cleaning.
Kieth44 "Sound like the double action fly is a stickin'..............."

Exactly what it sounds like to me also. Double action sear is sticking back after handing off the hammer on some cycles and because of that it does not always engage with the hammer. and cock it.

I bought a model 19-3 way under marked price at a pawn shop that did exactly the same thing. Picked up a small screw driver at same pawn shop. Drove to nearby auto parts house. Bought a can of carb cleaner, removed grips and sprayed and cycled for a bit and it started working fine. Scored a nice a 19-3 with target grips at a great price because of hardened oil/gunk.

This is a prime area for double action failure. The spring is very small as is the pivot point, the mating between the end of the double action sear and the hammer is very critical. It doesn't take much crud for the spring to be unable to preform its needed action. The hammer spring and the trigger return spring are much more robust. Unless either of these 2 have been replaced or adjusted to be very near minimum, they will over come some crud and do their job. The bolt spring isn't as large as either, but still way larger than DA sear spring, plus the has more tolerance on its pivot.

Crud in any fire arm action can cause a failure to function. Its amazing how many shooters regularly clean the bore and outside of their guns and then basically ignore the internals

Last edited by steelslaver; 05-27-2018 at 06:03 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: