Thread: New 4227, Hot?
View Single Post

Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM

Liked 18,468 Times in 7,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4barrel View Post
We finally found a 27 to test with. 15.3 grains of the IMR 4227 with Winchester mag primers flattened the first two primers With the same 158 grain .357 gas check bullets so we quit with them--but standard primers look normal with the same load. I can still use my 19 but brass is hard to eject so I will use it for 38 only. Mag primers with 4227 will raise pressure a lot in 357 with a full charge in this test. I switched back to 2400 that I have used since the 70s. No fault of the powder but maybe there should be warnings on the use of IMR 4227 with mag primers. ..
Thanks for starting this thread and posting this last result. A lot of times people take a lot of abuse from others who assume "THEY know better" than the OP when a thread like this gets started. So I want to commend you for sticking your neck out to post this info for all of our benefit.

The really interesting part of this from my perspective is the caution against using mag primers with IMR 4227. This is especially surprising in regards to Winchester primers since they advertise them as being for standard OR magnum loads. I've read lots of posts where experienced reloaders specifically recommend using magnum primers with IMR4227 in order to get it to burn cleaner.

So thanks again for posting your experience as a cautionary tale for the rest of us.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: