View Single Post

Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
On the forcing cone erosion issue.
If a load will erode the throat of a model 19 it will do the same thing with a L or N frame 357. The round fires under the same pressures in any chamber, the hot gasses are the same coming out of the brass and cylinder throat and make the same jump across the B/C gap and into the throat. All the blued models use same steel in barrel. So same effect on forcing cone itself. A model 19 does have less steel in this area and will fail from cone erosion thinning way before the rest. But, forcing cone erosion is good for none of them. A 19 that is eroded may crack before the L or N, but prior to cracking could have barrel removed, shoulder cut back enough for a turn or 2 and the cone recut just like and L or N with excess erosion, but who wants to do that or pay to have it done?

Stay away from loads that cause throat erosion be it in K, L or N frame.
Good point.

It's helpful to know the real cause of forcing cone erosion, and that isn't the size/weight of the bullet.

125gr. loads don't erode/crack the forcing cones because it's using a 125gr. bullet, it has to do with the powder/heat. All forcing cone erosion is due to heat and pressure, but mainly heat.

To make a forcing cone last as long as possible, NEVER constantly fire rounds allowing heat to build up and carburize the metal cone. With my guns, I practice at a slow pace making sure no heat can build up.

This is why the lighter bullets cause erosion more rapidly. The lighter bullet exits quicker before all powder is burned which then hits the forcing cone. Shoot many rounds without a cool down and you carburize your cone. Eventually it will crack, especially with the K frame bottom cut-out. Hot-rodded loads just increase this.

I'm sure there's more to it, but that's the main gist of it.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: