View Single Post

Old 05-27-2018, 02:54 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

nacho
I should be more clear! The three feet minimum I mentioned is measured from the end of the barrel of whatever handgun I hold in my outstretched hand. That allows my feet, legs, and body to be about a couple more feet away from that rattler. Where I've lived most of my life among rattlers, a six foot one would be a remarkable speciment. I have seen a few of them, but the big majority of them are no more than about four feet long and many of those about three feet or less.
A strike from any rattlesnake is an unsettling experience, from any distance. Rest assured that I take no chances with a rattler that I have seen further away than it's maximum striking distance. And anytime I have done my part, my experience with the .38/357 snake loads have done their part. But the very large majority of the snakes I have killed have been done in by a large rock, maybe a heavy wrench thrown, a shovel, hoe or a large stick or branch. What ever is handy!

I've been bitten several times by (large) bullsnakes or racers. Not a big deal after the initial surprise. Needs disinfecting and good cleaning to keep infection at bay. Used to catch the bull snakes in the fields and pastures and bring them to the hay barn or other outbuildings and release them there. We had pack rats that were difficult to control because they tend not to eat poison bait like regular rats and mice. We caught a ton of them with jump traps or catchem alive traps, but the bull snakes caught a lot more of them than the traps. Sometimes the bullsnakes in the hay barn after dark would give on a fair startle though! But having the bull snakes there seemed to keep the rattlesnakes away for the most part. I was taught to watch for and see snakes from my earliest recollection. I do that without concious thought. That said, if preoccupied with something else, I have still actually stepped over a few. Seeing the movement when one strikes generally encourages a fairly quick and high jump away, but I have also probably been lucky that the strike did not connect. That's an uncecessary feeling! Poisonous snakes are not to be trifled with!

If I know I'm going to be in serious snake territory, I generally have some snake shot in my handgun or I find a suitable stick or limb and carry that, absent any snake loads. As Iggy says, the end of a lariat rope does the job very nicely if a snake needs disabled.

Last edited by kthom; 05-27-2018 at 03:00 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: