View Single Post

Old 05-28-2018, 04:25 AM

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Default Good grief ! My sights are off !

Put 400 rounds thru my .40 2.0 compact, and my .40 2.0 five inch pistol. At about 12 yards, I'm shooting 3 to 5 inches left...about 3 in the five incer, and 5 in the compact. Why yes, I'm glad you asked...after frustration at the range, I come home and notice the rear sights on both pistols are placed too far left...I haven't checked my 9mm 2.0 rear sights yet, but am assuming they will be off too. I had the same thing on a Glock 19 about 8 months ago. And it peeves me because I went thru so much ammo kicking myself with frustration. I grabbed my Glock 23 today, and was 3 bulls eyes and within an inch on the rest of 12 rounds fired from it. I have spent about an hour researching why I'm shooting low. I've read Smith zeros their pistols for 25 yards, thus shooting low at closer ranges. I don't know if this is true, but I found a good bit of ppl reporting they are shooting the M&P pistols low, while shooting their XD's and Glocks with no problems. So before I can go out with the pistols again I must first move my rear sights...and thank you for asking, no I don't have a rear sight pusher...but luckily I know a couple places near me that can do it for me. I will try shooting out to 25 yards next time to see where the point of impact is at that range. Good grief I'm mad at myself for not checking the sights on my pistol before I even started shooting them. I've been shooting for like 30 years, and I've never had a pistol with the sights not centered...now I have 3 in less than a year...4 if the 9mm 2.0 compact has the same issue. Call me crazy, but quality control these days seems to be utilizing cheap labor. So I've got my shooting left thing figured out. The shooting low I'm still working on. Love these pistols tho, just frustrated I didn't have the confidence in my shooting ability to check the rear sight alignment immediately in the field upon consistently shooting left. But I typically will pull a little left sometimes if I'm not focusing well...I feel like I've wasted 400 rounds of ammo. Never again will I ever buy a pistol without scrutinizing the sights prior to shooting it for the first time. Shame on me for not checking them. Upon the end of the shooting session today I seemed to be figuring out where to hold for the north and south bullet placement...but gees. Perhaps I'll inform Smith over the poor placement of the rear sights, and offer to work on their rear sight assembly line ha ! I guess at the end of the day, I'm glad the rear sights are off center. That's easier to fix than a shooter's error problem.