View Single Post

Old 05-28-2018, 02:11 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,179 Times in 4,572 Posts

As a cowboy action shooter, although it has been awhile, I can state from personal experience that CAS shooters are quite sufficiently capable of using SAA-type guns for self defense. If I had to choose my .45 Colt Vaqueros for self defense I would not feel undergunned. However, it would not be my first choice. But with the experience that CAS shooters have the choice of a single action could make sense. Absent that training I wouldn't recommend one for the casual shooter for self defense.
Quote:
When I travel the 8 miles into the Town of Prescott Arizona, I see a lot of single action revolvers on belts being carried. While I personally feel more comfortable with my concealed Glock 19 or Springfield Pro, The cowboys around here look pretty defended with their choice of side arm. I've never walked down Whiskey Row in Prescott day or night without seeing someone with a SAA in a cowboy belt and holster. I guess it works for them out here in the west.
About 34 years ago I was in the town square of Prescott, AZ for the 4th of July parade. Motorcyclists were lined up side by side along the parade route. I was fascinated to see that almost every rider had a large handgun on him, belt guns, shoulder holsters, etc. SAAs, 1911s, and who knows what else. Not being familiar with Arizona's open carry rules at the time I asked a local LEO and he just shrugged and said, "We know about it."

Pretty cool. Now it's no longer an unknown phenomenon. Even cooler.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: