Thread: Brill Holster
View Single Post

Old 05-28-2018, 07:02 PM

Liked 755 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
So, the pieces come together this way: you're a 1946 boy, the Arno you met was about your age, and Bill Brill's son named Arno was born in '48. My 'new theory', then, is that because there was an Arno William Brill (Sr.), who was August's son; and Arno had a son with the same name (so Jr.); the chap you met thinks of himself as the third Arno William Brill and so calls himself III. His birth certificate calls him II, which would be incorrect because there is no "II"; instead these men are called "Jr.".

All good fun :-)
I did find a reference to Arno William Brill, who lives in the Houston area (Friendswood) and is an engineer associated with the Exxon Corporation. He is in his 70's according to that business reference, which might make him about my age or older. Like you, I cannot find an Arno W. Brill III living, who is connected with the August W. Brill descendant line.

On another note, I sent an email the other day to Texas historian Mike Cox. He says that he has an August Brill designed holster. I introduced myself and told him of my grandfather's connection to the A. W. Brill Company in Austin. He plans to send me a photo copy of the holster when he returns in June to the US. He is presently out of the country. Have you seen August Brill holsters or other leather products?

Below is a copy of a note sent a decade or more ago to a Floresville historian. I had been there on a trip to look for information relative to Henry B. Rabensburg, a saddler and harness maker. He was the father of Newton Joseph Rabensburg and was killed there in 1890.

HENRY B. RABENSBURG An Early Citizen of Floresville, Texas

The following information was transmitted to Shirley Grammer by Neale Rabensburg:

Henry B. Rabensburg was born in Bastrop, Bastrop County in 1864 and would have been 26 years old at the time of his death. He was married in 1886 in Fayette County to Wilhelmina Ehlinger. Three children were born to this marriage. The first two died as infants. The third, Newton Joseph Rabensburg, was born August 22, 1889 in Floresville. Henry moved to Floresville and set himself up in the leather and harness making business. He purchased two Floresville town tracts in 1886 with one of these fronting on the west side of the town square where it is assumed that he placed his business. Henry purchased three more land tracts in 1888 with one of these being another plot on the town square adjacent to his shop.

In a Floresville business publication, Henry B. Rabensburg was listed among the leaders of the Floresville community for the years 1890-91. However, Henry was not able to see the year 1891 since he was killed on November 26, 1890. Abruptly in the spring of 1890, Henry and his wife began to sell off their property in Floresville and indicated their new address on one of the deeds as Bexar County. By October 7, 1890, Henry had sold all six tracts of land in Floresville. The following month he would be dead, but apparently killed in Wilson County and not, Bexar County. The Bastrop Advertiser, November 29, 1890, made note of Henry Rabensburg’s death as follows:

Henry Rabensburg Killed by a Boy

“Telegrams from Floresville state that Henry B. Rabensburg, brother of Ed and George Rabensburg of Bastrop, was killed at Newton Brother’s ranch, near Brockenridge, Wednesday evening, by Tom Cooper, a 17-year-old boy. Our account says that “Young Cooper” had accidentally poured hot water on Rabensburg’s head while they were cleaning hogs and Rabensburg threatened to kill Cooper with a knife, that he ran Cooper away from the house with a Winchester rifle. Cooper ventured back and Rabensburg again started for his gun, when Cooper picked up a shot gun and shot him down. Cooper went to Floresville and surrendered to the sheriff.” Another account says: “Cooper and Rabensburg engaged in a dispute Tuesday evening over the value of a saddle. Rabensburg became infuriated and would have killed Cooper with a butcher knife but for the interference of friends. Cooper then left the house, but Rabensburg swore he would kill the boy on sight. Wednesday evening about 4 o’clock, Cooper returned, and the row was resumed, resulting in the shooting and instant killing of Rabensburg. Cooper immediately went to Floresville and surrendered to sheriff Seale of the county. Cooper is about sixteen years old, and eye witnesses say he was perfectly justifiable.” The dispatch says that “there is a case pending in the district court in San Antonio, against Henry, for the killing of Dr. Fonts a year ago and another against him in Karnes County for assault with intent to kill Dr. Layton several months ago.”

Note: Neale Rabensburg is researching his family history and is trying to find the grave of his ancestor Henry Rabensburg. He has been communicating with Shirley Grammer, and she is requesting help in attempting to locate his grave site or any additional information regarding the family. Should anybody have any information regarding the Rabensburg family or the location of the Newton Brother’s Ranch in Wilson County, please share it with Shirley Grammer 830.947.3176 1/03

The article was circulated on the internet for many years with no response. The Rabensburg men, according to a cousin of mine in Bastrop, harbor a temper. Murder and threatening to kill are perhaps carrying temper tantrums to the extreme, and I think (and I hope) these temper problems are waning over the generations. N. J. Rabensburg was a disciplinarian and an artist with ironically a keen sense of shrewdness for business and marketing. He had no patience with children, me being one. My father held respect for his Dad but they shared little affection. There was a reason.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: