Thread: 44 Mag OAL
View Single Post

Old 05-29-2018, 12:49 AM

Liked 9,332 Times in 3,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate Tyrant View Post
If you were wanting to go full throttle into it, then comparing the bullet shank depth of your bullets with the bullets used by Alliant and Lyman would be pretty important. The bullet shape can cause the OAL to be much higher or lower while maintaining the same amount of bullet inside the case.
For me, this is a key point whenever loading bullets of the same weight but of different brands/styles/shapes, or purposely deep seating a bullet.

I always record a new bullet's overall length and the bullet's depth to which it was seated, for future reference. If you know seating it to .xxx" is "normal" then other brands of the same weight can be compared to it & adjustments made if needed.

Not all bullets have crimp grooves & just because it has a crimp groove doesn't guarantee any level of conformity.

So if you can compare it to any other 300gr. bullet you've used, that you have published data for, that would be useful. (I don't shoot 300gr bullets in my 44s so I can't help you there.)

I did notice some cast bullet websites have started listing these dimensions with the bullet's details. Bravo!