View Single Post

Old 05-29-2018, 12:10 PM

Liked 5,794 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
I am all for folks choosing their own guns. There are so many options out there, and all of the choices involve compromises in performance.

My needs, experience and capabilities are different from most others’. For me to hoot and holler that my choices should be your choices is rude. However, if I can civilly accept others’ choices while competently explaining mine in an informative and not argumentative manner, then everyone can benefit.

On forums, it’s more about attitude, style, and writing ability than many trigger jerking up-in-your-face yahoos present. Whoops. Sorry. Just did it myself. :-)

Mass Ayoob just posted a Negligent Discharge he had with a revolver. Checked supposedly three times by two people who missed the one nickel plated round in the nickel gun. He closed the cylinder, pointed vertically, and while demonstrating correct trigger pull launched a pill skyward. They are not foolproof.

My wife’s 642 had an ejector rod loosen and bind up the cylinder.

Debris under the star extractor kept the cylinder from rotating another time.

Reliable? Yes, usually, but not always. Easy to load under pressure. No. High capacity? No. But they are the choice of many, and that is all I need to know.

Good for all of you. Have a gun. Travel.
My take on all of this.

These failures happen because of long range sessions or improper torque checks after range sessions.

If you keep clean and check torque after every range session. You will not experience those types of failures if you need it for self defense.

Revolvers can take neglect better and semis can take abuse better. Meaning if I clean,lube, and check torque on both my semi and my revolver and chuck both in a sock drawer not to be used for 10 years, the semi has a higher chance of failure and may get off one round before possibly jamming due to lack of lube, the revolver will empty the cylinder. But if I take the semi and the revolver out and run a high round count range session, both lubed and properly maintained, the revolver has the higher chance of failing first due to things like dirt under the extractor star, powder build up in the crane area causing the cylinder to bind, and screws backing out after 2-300 rounds. The semi will more than likely put a couple thousand rounds thorough it before failure.

That being said I am an over 10rd semi guy who went to revolvers. I have fired a round in self defense. One with a semi with a magazine over 10 rounds...

I feel perfectly capable with my revolver and I usually don't care what other people are parroting. Again, just smile and nod. It's not even worth debating.

As for gun shops who pressure steer you towards other models or act like they know more than you? I will go in and handle their guns. Smile politely and agree with everything they are saying. Then go purchase somewhere else.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: