View Single Post

Old 05-29-2018, 02:57 PM

Liked 365 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco89 View Post
I've never been involved with a shooting competition, and my schedule makes it difficult for me to do so, as I work Weekend Nights in a rural TN factory. Many of the fine Hill-Folk, I work with have said that they would be a part of a competition if someone put one together during the week. I think I can do that....
No problem....just a few questions.

Quote:
Thinking about a bullseye shoot with handguns and .22 rifles, using NRA targets and rules.
OK, why "Bullseye"? Bullseye is 90 rnd, with ALOT of slow fire and some rapid fire, will the range let you do that? How about a turkey shoot? Those are fun.

Quote:
Charging just enough to cover a trophy for 1st on both, and a plaque for 2nd and 3rd in each, and range use.
Shouldn't be a problem, IMO, find out the total cost and double it. Better to have money left over( for anther shoot or catered lunch, etc)

Quote:
Safety will be STRICTLY enforced. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is in the early planning stages. I have not even talked to a range yet, but I have one picked out.
I'd suggest talking with the guys you work with and ask for suggestions. If many are prior military and LEO, etc, they might have an idea of what they'd like to shoot. Best to get them involved all the way. If they tell you to "just handle it all", Don't do it.

(IDPA Saftey Officer here) Well, an IDPA course is ran like this: There are about 4-5 courses of fire (COF) , each with targets set up to imitate a real life "situations" and the shooters must negotiate obstacles and shoot the targets in a specific order and a specific number of times( shooting at a moving target, shooting while moving to cover, reloads), etc.

Will you have timers?

The 1st rules are the 180 rule (line between "down range and "back range"- NO drawn guns in the back range (or facing the back range) and the 90deg rule( 45 deg to your left and 45deg to your right{down range} is your area, do NOT point your weapon past that). Make it VERY clear that if anyone brakes those rules, they get a DQ and can't shoot.

2.) Unless you're shooting, your guns are NOT loaded( when the shooter steps up, the SO says,"Shooter, load and make ready" AT that time, the shooter will load a loaded mag into his pistol and holster( or lay it on the table). Then I'd say, " The firing line is hot, Shooter, fire at will." And the shooter will pick up the pistol and shoot that line of fire. After that, "you'll say, Cease fire, cease fire, unload and show clear" and the shooter does exactly that(while pointing down range). Then he steps off the line and the next shooter steps up. Everyone's guns are empty, unless they're shooting. NO exceptions.

As SO,I'm the one who stands there and gives the instructions( while the rest of the squad is scoring and pasting) I have the next shooter there, at the starting line and ask them to explain the COF to me, to make sure they have NO doubt what they're about to do. Having it clear in their mind is HUGE. I give the commands, hold the timer and then follow the shooter through the course, watching VERY carefully, every move, to make sure they stay safe. I have one command that everyone must obey immediately and that is "STOP!!", at that time the shooter will freeze and not move and CERTAINLY not shoot again. That means I've witnessed a SERIOUS safety issue with either the function of the gun or the shooter themself. I clear the issue and then we proceed.

Last edited by CCHGN; 05-29-2018 at 02:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: