View Single Post

Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 PM

Liked 3,443 Times in 936 Posts

When Willi Korth started to manufacture firearms, he faced the stiff established competition of Colt and S&W. As a newcomer he decided to produce a revolver that was better built and finished than the guns of the competitiors and the depressed wages of post-WWII Germany and the abundance of skilled workers gave him the opportunity to develop his guns.
In order to compete with the established competition he priced his guns very reasonably and below the competition.

He wasn't a businessman and went through bankruptcy and financial problems but developed the roller bearing on top of the trigger to give a smooth and adjustable double action characteristic that is unequaled. He also pressed a roller through the chambers and compressed them to a glass smooth finish, which helps tremendously with extraction. This was also picked up by Manurhin and incorporated in their MR 73 revolvers. As the Korth revolver evolved to its final stage and the gun got more attention and followers, the prices slowly increased. However, Willi Korht never made money on the guns and got a distributor which raised the prices and introduced the guns to the U.S. market. Prices were rising steadily for new guns but used guns were abundant and inexpensive in Germany until a few years ago when several American importers starting to buy the guns up after Michael Zeleny and I had made the public aware of the quality of the guns.

I enjoy my little Korth collection, as well as my S&W pre-lock revolvers, and my Swiss SIG P210-6.

There are guns that are better than others but a little bit of high end costs a lot of money and most people will not be able to enjoy it.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: