View Single Post

Old 05-30-2018, 02:08 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,964 Times in 3,661 Posts

Given the "long action" noted by Peak53, and the 8 1/4" barrel, you have 1 of 7 known "Registered Magnums"----the name applied to the first .357 Magnums produced by S&W during the mid to late 1930's. As one might surmise from the "1 of 7" notation, the value is relatively substantial----more or less substantial depending on the condition.

I will suggest you are in need of some knowledgeable assistance. I will suggest further that you contact Michael G. Speers, CPA who is the Administrator of the S&W Collectors Association (at [email protected]) who can put you in touch with a knowledgeable member in your location----and go from there as you see fit.

Ralph Tremaine

I note mention of a value of $800+/- above. Given your gun is as I've surmised, it would be worth $800 as a fugitive from a junk yard. It appears otherwise.

Having gone back, and paid attention, some correction appears to be in order. Given a serial number of 60XXX, it is more likely you have measured the barrel length incorrectly (8 3/8" perhaps---from the front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel)---AND your gun is one known as a Nonregistered Magnum. The value will be inexplicably less due to the vagaries of the lunatic fringe collectors' community, but still worthy of the term substantial. I have a complete list of the serial numbers of the Nonregistered Magnums, and can confirm the identity of your gun if you'd care to share the complete serial number here---or via a PM (Private Message) to me via the forum.

Last edited by rct269; 05-30-2018 at 02:38 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: