View Single Post

Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,353 Times in 562 Posts
Default Blue Loctite For 1911 Grip Screw Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
Staking in the Grip Bushings really require a tool to do properly and Blue Locktite is probably the way to go if yo do not have that tool. I know I am usually against using any Locktite on any firearm, but this is one of the exceptions in my opinion especially since it is in an area that is relatively easy to get at when removal is required. JUST USE A DROP of the BLUE after cleaning male & female threads off with Alcohol. Let set for a half dozen hours before installing Grip Screws.
My thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and to provide us with information from their knowledge and experience. I believe that the response from chief38 will work best for me.

This new 1911 is made by Springfield Armory, model PI9128ER. I called the SA Customer Service yesterday and the rep informed me that their factory uses blue Loctite (and not staking) in the production of this model. The rep also stated that a hair dryer, which I already have, will provide sufficient heat to make the existing thin line grip screws easily removable. Several years ago now (where does the time go when we're retired??) I purchased a Magna Tip screwdriver set from Brownells:

BROWNELLS MAGNA-TIP SUPER SETS™ | Brownells

According to the technical rep at Brownells, I have the correct blade to remove the old grip screw bushing, and install the new one. I will not need to purchase any special tools.

At my age, I am sure that I will need to begin selling my collection in the coming years and may need to re-install the G-10 thin line grips and bushings.

Bill