View Single Post

Old 05-31-2018, 04:23 AM

Liked 7,733 Times in 2,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
Red, as always, thank you for sharing your "holstorical" knowledge and unique perspective. I had wondered about the origin of the "slide guard" (aka "sweat shield") and appreciate your acknowledgement of Gordon Davis as the likely originator. I always find it interesting to know who is credited with originating particular holster design features that we now take for granted. Certainly, you have contributed many.

You note: "...the Avenger was created to compete with Baker's pancake; which was patented. All the makers quickly worked out how to honour his patent by realising the pancake style in another way."

The language, construction and intent of the Baker patent has perplexed me. From my perspective, the true innovation and novelty of the design is the two panel construction with a belt slot forward and a belt slot trailing the pocket. The dual "outboard" slot design was markedly differential compared to the standard, Threepersons influenced, or even the Gaylord derived, plain-clothes / concealment holsters of the time.

From Baker's 1971 patent application: "The holster is made of two identical leather pieces joined in overlying relationship. One belt receiving slot is provided through both pieces at the bottom or trigger side of the gun; while two slots are provided at the top of the gun, one slot being at a level below the other. Stitching in the form of closed loops around the slots joins the pieces and forms the gun pocket. With this structure the holster is adaptable for regular or cross-draw for both right or left-hand use."

US3731858A - Gun holster
- Google Patents

Basically, it appears that the patent attorney adopted a "kitchen sink" approach rather than calling out each of the truly novel features in separate patent applications. Very precise, yet somehow missing the target because IMO the true genius of Baker's design was the simplicity of the combination of the trailing and forward slots.

As for the Avenger, I have owned several. I agree that the ride height and the height of the holster mouth above belt line require considerable shoulder rotation and elbow lift in order to get the muzzle to clear leather, particularly with a relatively long barrelled handgun like the 1911 Government Model. However, the design has proved to be comfortable while seated and, for me, keeps the rear sight high enough to generally avoid inadvertent bumps to my elbow during normal activity. Your Bogart series Avenger does take the style to a another level, both functionally and aesthetically.
Baker (did you know that he apprenticed to Andy Anderson in AR?) faced many difficulties with that patent but ultimately sold his operation for a lot in 1980; so it all worked out for him. Problem One is that the typical patent attorney we're going to encounter is not really very good at understanding the essence of what is to be patented. Prob Two is neither he/she, nor the inventor, have a breadth or depth of understanding the prior art, which the Patent Examiner will go through with a fine toothed comb. Prob Three then, was the belt slide holsters that already had outboard slots (in my prior post you'll see even a single outboard slot was previously patented). Prob Four is that the claims were drawn so narrowly that they were limited to a reversible holster -- because that's what Baker and his attorney thought had been invented.

All the other makers had to do, was make it 'not reversible'. Or -- not use three slots. Or -- not surround the slots with a complete stitchline. You'll see these solutions in all pancakes of the era.

The Avenger competes with the pancake by being narrower
. Ultimately a pancake is an avenger with a second outboard slot, which takes up space that can be limited, on the waistline. The original pancake, because it is symmetrical panels, also closes when the pistol is drawn, by virtue of the belt pressure. This can be good for retention, bad for holstering especially with the shakes after an encounter.

The modern pancake, made with a larger panel on the outside then the inside, correct this to a large extent. But the panel encircling of the mouth of an avenger holds it open; so some of the current makers whack a slab of leather near the mouth and believe they've accomplished something when in fact they've only stiffened the centre of the outer panel.

Note that the Professional had no reinforced mouth, and the tab on the back is mounted so that it can only be used crossdraw or true appendix (2:00 which Bruce called 'forward of hip carry' even though that's not our hip up there).